Crisis Management Foundations Training
A crisis can happen to any organisation. Would your business be able to handle a data breach? What about a natural disaster or serious offence? Are you ready to relocate if your office burns down?
Our specialist Crisis Management Training is designed to support your organisation.
Successful crisis and incident management is about protecting what your organisation values by preparing for, anticipating, responding to, recovering from, and learning from adverse situations that threaten the organisation's people, reputation, physical assets, operational continuity, natural environment, regulatory compliance or financial performance.
An inadequate or ineffective response to a crisis or incident can compound and exacerbate an already inherently difficult and stressful situation, with potentially disastrous long-term effects on the organisation’s reputation, brand and standing in the eyes of employees, customers, partners, suppliers, industry peers and bodies, government, regulators, and media.
Today, organisations’ top managers can also individually face serious liabilities and career consequences for poor management or unjustified decisions during a crisis.
Aim, scope & expected outcomes
This training aims to develop a consistent level of knowledge, skills and preparedness among your organisation’s designated crisis and incident managers.
Our foundations training is based on good practice guidelines, enhanced with real-life lessons from our practical experience in issue, emergency, crisis and crisis communication management. It covers crisis and incident management principles, concepts, processes, techniques and tools, focussing on key knowledge and skills that are essential to effectively respond and recover from a crisis or incident.
It empowers participants to:
achieve control of a crisis or incident as soon as possible
communicate effectively, both internally and externally
feel prepared with clear, well-understood structures, roles and responsibilities
build situational awareness through information management and collective working
use a clear and well-rehearsed decision-making and action driving process
lead teams confidently in stressful situations
maintain records of decisions and actions, including facts known and any assumptions
learn from mistakes and make changes to prevent their reoccurrence.
Who should undertake this training?
Our foundations workshops are designed for groups (up to 20) of your organisation’s designated crisis and incident managers, who have delegations under your organisation’s crisis and incident management arrangements.
These people should be selected from your organisation’s top management – those who:
direct and control the organisation at a high level
have authority to make high-level decisions on the organisation’s behalf, command resources, and drive change rapidly
are accountable and/or responsible for the organisation’s reputation, operations and performance.
How long does it run for?
The Crisis & Incident Management Foundations Workshop is a half day (4 hours including a refreshment break), and we cover 6 training modules (see workshop outline below).
The Crisis & Incident Management Foundations Plus+ Workshop is a full day (7.5 hours including lunch/refreshment breaks), and we cover 10 training modules (see workshop outline below).
Learning outcomes: knowledge & skills
In the Crisis & Incident Management Foundations Workshop (half day), participants will learn to:
• recognise a crisis and an incident and understand the difference between them
• analyse issues to identify their immediate and potential wider impacts
• apply the structures, roles and responsibilities outlined in the organisation's documentation to achieve control of a crisis or incident as soon as possible
• use specified tools, equipment, technology systems, guiding procedures, templates and other available resources to assist in performing crisis or incident management roles and activities
• use a clear decision-making and action driving process to determine, articulate and review strategy, aims, objectives, and maintain strategic focus without delving into operational detail
• demonstrate visible leadership and decision-making, and provide clear, unambiguous direction to teams and people working in stressful situations.
In the Crisis & Incident Management Foundations Plus+ Workshop (full day), participants will also learn to:
• build situational awareness through good information management, challenge and collective working
• identify and counter threats (actual and emerging) to the organisation's integrity, brand, values and reputation
• identify and communicate effectively with interested parties, both internally and externally
• maintain a comprehensive record of all decisions taken, including the facts known at the time and any assumptions made
• conduct effective debriefing, review and evaluation to learn from experience and improve
• lead with an awareness of human biases and behavioural aspects on group decision making and team working
We encourage participants to discuss relevant aspects of your organisation’s documented policies/procedures/protocols during the workshop.
Overall, we expect the workshop will increase your organisation’s readiness to respond effectively in a real crisis or incident by applying good practice principles and following your documented processes.
“I recently undertook a strategic approach to crisis communications at Crisis Shield. It was one of the most valuable and relevant courses I have done. It provides practical and hands-on advice that guides you through the process of developing a crisis communications plan, the role and value of key messages and delivery to camera. Allan walks you through the strategic planning process and illustrates the importance of planning for a crisis event with timely and high profile examples. Even if you don’t have spokesperson responsibilities this course gives you a taste of what it feels like to deliver key messages and navigate a door stop interview and media conference. Allan has a wealth of knowledge and experience in the field to support the training. A highly recommended course that was educational, interactive and fun.”
Business Communication Manager, Australia Post